Monday, June 11, 2012

Retiring Early

Elias has a giant imagination.  While I remember complaining about it in the past, I am just now starting to appreciate it.  He can play with just about anything and turn it into something fun.  He is also good at playing by himself.

 Elias playing pirate

Elias being goofy

Elias has really gotten settled in at school.  He is often the first kid to arrive, so he gets a little more work time in with his teacher, Ms. Julie.   

Elias and Ms. Julie
He finished his first set of sounds and can tell you what sound a particular letter makes.  He hasn't mastered sounding out words yet, but he can do a few here or there.  He has moved from sounds to math.  He can write his name, write numbers, do addition (with beads), and draws people with heads, arms, legs, eyes and mouths.  Soon, he starts learning to read.  I can't wait.

Elias' math schoolwork

In general, Elias is very helpful.  He helps set up and clean up at school, cleans up at home, and is generally very good natured.  Unfortunately, his favorite person to pick on is Ezra.  I suppose once they aren't brothers anymore, that will lighten up.  Oh, wait.

He loves to cook with Matt, paint, sew, do crafts, and read books.  He often staples papers together to make his own books.  He loves getting new clothes.  At bedtime, instead of getting up 16 times, we just have "talks".  Here is how they go.

Elias:  5 talks.
Me:  OK.  5 talks.  Talk 1.
Elias:  I want to paint pink, purple and gold (his favorite colors).
Me: Talk 2.
Elias:  I want to paint the vacation (meaning the place where we stayed on vacation).
Me: Talk 3.
Elias: I want to paint the condo.
Me: Talk 4.
Elias:  I want to paint the home.
Me:  Talk 5.  Last talk.
Elias:  I want to do the toothbrush painting (I have no idea) and the dot painting.  And when Ezra wakes up, I will wake up.  When someone puts Ezra back to sleep, I will go back to sleep with my Olo, Ronald (thanks for the new addition Grandma Marjie), 2 doggies, PawPaw, and Elmo (I have to say Elmo with him).

It is the same EVERY night, but I'll take it over getting up 16 times.  Awhile back, if you had told me there was a time Elias would go to sleep without much trouble, I never would have believed you.  I guess they do grow up.

Elias still loves music and loves playing his guitar.  He is getting too old for our usual music class, so instead he will be going to school on Fridays.  It works out well because in the summer, they have splash day at school, and he really enjoys the water.  Once he turns 5, he can do the big kids music.  Check out the reason Matt and I are retiring early:


I Like to Play Guitar (as far as I know an original)...and no, you don't have to listen to the whole thing.


When the Sun Comes Out (another original...hard to believe I know)

Oh yeah.  He's going to be big.

No comments:

Post a Comment