Monday, May 25, 2009

Full Circle


We just started getting our milk delivered to our door from a local dairy. According to friends, it tastes much better than the stuff you buy at the store and is equivalent to organic brands. You will have to ask Elias to verify the taste, since Matt and I don't drink milk. What I find interesting is this shift that people seem to be making to buy more food locally. I think it is a great idea...it helps keep pollution down since food doesn't have to be shipped across the country (or world) and it helps support your community. I imagine that some older people will remember getting milk delivered when they were kids (maybe the only real option to get milk?), but it seemed to have lessened over the years. For a while, I think people liked the idea of being able to get any kind of food they wanted from anywhere in the world. The choices were enormous. Now it seems like people are starting to go back to the old ways and are trying to buy local....coming full circle.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I love our local dairy (of course, in WI you don't have to go far). I would also note that local farmers can grow varieties of fruits and veggies that are bred for taste and not bred to 'keep' for a week while being transported from Chile to Green Bay. So it's environmentally friendly and taste bud friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Old people?"
    Erica, I remember having milk delivered to our door when we were kids.
    Boy, when your own sister calls you an old person it really hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember that. Maybe I'm the one who is getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark and I got Royal Crest when we were in Denver. It was awesome! Not just milk! So super convenient. Ahhh memories...

    ReplyDelete