Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pointless Paperwork

Now I now most people think almost all paperwork is pointless. I, however, do not fall into this category. I usually do most paperwork without complaint, and even, at times, make my own paperwork to do in order to make my life easier.

But, FMLA paperwork is a complete waste of time. One month before my due date, but not earlier than that, I had to get the doctor to fill out a form saying my estimated time off of work. Ella, the paperwork woman at the doctor's office (a horrid job, I can imagine), filled in my due date of January 15th, and stated I would be out either 6 or 8 weeks depending on the type of delivery. This is standard, and I believe everyone involved in the process knew this is what the paperwork would state. After contacting my work Human Resources Department (HRSC), one person told me I might need a new form submitted because Ezra arrived 1 week early (because doing the math is too hard?). Luckily, a different woman said it wouldn't be necessary (I guess we will see).

Now that my 6 weeks is up, I have to get an "Authorized Return to Work" form filled out by my doctor's office. Now, I am not really going back to work for 6 more weeks, and my doctor's appointment isn't until late next week. I figured I would have the "Authorized Return to Work" form filled out after the doctor sees me...to authorize that I can return to work. Duh. No hurry because I'm not going back right away, right? Wrong. The HRSC said they need the form ASAP. Even though it seemed ludicrous to ask, I called the doctor's office to see if they could do the paperwork before I saw the doctor. No problem, Ella said. In fact, she called me today to ask me what day I wanted her to authorize that I could return to work. What? Why didn't I just fill out the paperwork myself. Or better yet, just skip it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment