Sunday, January 29, 2012

Is It Really That Unusual?

I admit I must be a bit naive about how conservative people are in regards to their children and the gender roles we have created. It doesn't bother me that Elias' favorite colors are pink, purple and gold. I'm not concerned that I knew he would love a dollhouse for Christmas (and I was right). He loves to put clips in his hair, and his best friends at school are girls. He is only 3 and a half. What does it hurt? And if it's the same as he gets older, so what? Are parents really worried about these kinds of things? How do they have the energy when there is so much else to worry about?

Elias has a great dentist. There is a castle inside with toys where he plays while we wait. They give out prizes for a good checkup and for opening your mouth wide. Luckily, Elias has always done a great job, never crying or fussing. We have also done great with his brushing, or he has good teeth (or a little of both). This last time, he got the chance to pick out a t-shirt because his teeth were brushed well for two checkups in a row (shouldn't I get the prize?). When the dental hygienist opened the cabinet where the shirts were, she said, "There are blue, yellow, green and orange t-shirts. Which one would you like?" Elias paused for a moment, looked in the cabinet, and said, "Pink." That's my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment