Saturday, November 3, 2012

Things that should be banned (the short list)

Once you have kids, it becomes all too clear that some inventions/ideas were not particularly well thought out.  In fact, if we could place a ban on a few things, then life would just be that much simpler.

#1  Daylight savings time.  This may be the one thing Arizona has right.  Today I spent an extra hour, of an already very long day, trying to keep my kids up late, in the hopes that they will sleep in tomorrow.  Tonight we "fall back".  The problem is it will very likely backfire on me, and the kids will be up at 5:00 anyway (which will really be 4:00 because of the stupid time change).  Sigh.

#2  Pockets on kids' clothing from the ages of 1 to 16.  Every time I wash the kids' clothes, I spend at least 10 minutes emptying out their pockets.  Then, inevitably, I've missed something, and an eraser or a Kleenex ends up in the dryer.  OK, perhaps 16 may be a bit old, but still.

#3 Unwashable paint/craft supplies.  Along the same lines as #2, I spend at least 10 minutes spraying/scrubbing clothes that have paint on them that will never come out in a million years.  Sure, I suppose there are some adult artists that might be a bit upset having limited supplies, but I don't really care.  Everything should come out with water.  I'm sure they'll thank me later when it spills on their favorite shirt.

#4 Electrical outlets required every 6 feet.  When you have a "spirited" child who gets into everything, having that many electrical outlets to get into (plastic protector covers or not) is just asking for trouble.

That's the short list.  I'm sure there are tons more, but we simply can't wait to get started campaigning for change.  'Tis the season, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment