Friday, October 2, 2009

Trusty Old Mazda

It has been a few weeks now, but my 1998 Mazda Protege was having problems. In fact, it was when our New Zealand friends were here (great timing). When I drove it, it would often idle really low, and die as I slowed down or waited at stoplights. After a while, I would have to constantly pump the gas when I was stopped to keep it idled high enough to get going when the light turned green.

One day, as I was leaving the daycare, it was acting up. Since daycare is downtown, we park in a garage and put our parking validation card in the machine on the way out. Then, we drive up a very steep hill to get to the street level. At about the middle of that hill, the car dies. This is not good. Luckily there weren't too many people behind me, so they could back up until I could get to the bottom of the hill, pump the gas and gun it up. Phew...just made that one.

In hindsight, after that I should have taken the car in as soon as possible...but with guests in town, it seemed hard to find a good time. The following Monday, on my way to work, I turned the corner for the last mile or so to work, and it was stop and go traffic. Having just passed the mechanic, I should have turned around right there and dropped it off. But no, I figured I could make it. Thirty minutes later, the car dies just as I am to turn into work and refuses to start again. I waved people around me, trying to yell that the traffic jam was not my fault. I called some guys at work who helped me push it out of traffic, called a tow truck (it was towed only 1 mile) and had the fuel pump replaced. Perhaps I better start calling it my rusty old Mazda.

No comments:

Post a Comment