Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"Dat"

Elias is obsessed with knowing what everything is called. He points to things and says, "Dat. Dat." repeatedly until you tell him what it is called. It quickly became apparent to me that I really don't know what a lot of things are called. What do you call the piece of metal that surrounds the lock on a door? A door knob plate? How about the giant bolt covers on light posts (I'm guessing you can gather I call them bolt covers)? What about the small rectangular shaped plastic box with holes in it at the church where Elias has his music class. Is that a monitor? A humidifier? A speaker? As you can see, it is hard to come up with names, and sometimes it is impossible to even know what something is. Never before would it have occurred to me that there are so many things that I can't name. I'm guessing that I'm really going to learn what I don't know once Elias gets old enough to ask me, "but why?"

No comments:

Post a Comment